CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blogging IS a Good Thing

So last night I created blogs for three of my 6 boys. I have talked about it off and on with my 15 year old, but never for one minute considered it for the 8, 9 and 11 year olds. Yesterday, as I started school back after Christmas break, I was thinking about some changes that I want to make in the way that we school each day. I want my boys narrating back to me what they read. Well, if you know boys, you know that by nature they do not like to write and when they do write it is simple and basic. Narrating was a struggle in our homeschool. Then yesterday it hit me... let them blog their narrations!!! Of course, they can blog about anything else that they want to as well.

At that moment, the blogging journey began. I spent time with each one of them helping them choose colors and fonts and layouts and a title for their blog. They went to bed last night excited about doing their history and science today so they could blog about it. And on that note, they can't remember the word blog. They have called it bloogle, goggle, boogle and several others. That has been entertaining for me today. Can you hear this, "Mom, I finished my book. Can I bloogle now?" Yep, between the 3 of them, I have been laughing all day!

Well anyway, last night my friend Diana sends me a link to get blog layouts. That started a hunt to find a special one for each boy, and you know it had to complement their blog title. I didn't get to bed till 1:30! However, it was well worth it when I showed them their new layouts this morning. It was like Christmas for them.

Each of them has posted 2-3 times today, narrating their history and science selections. I never had to make them read or drag them to the laptop to blog. It was a good day in my homeschool today! My 9 year old even asked if he could blog about stuff that happens in his day too! What a blessing to finally find a key that opens the door for my boys to get information into their minds and from their minds onto paper, or a screen.

Tonight as I blog, I am smiling. :)

2 comments:

Christie Jarvis said...

I agree 100%! I actually set up a blog for Amy on homeschool blogger about 2 years ago and never took the time to let her use it.
When I saw that you and Diana had set up blogs on here for your kids, I decided to do it too and have been thrilled with the results! The kids are actually excited about being able to type about their day for others to read it!
This is going to help out SOOO much! Thanks for encouraging me to do it :) Love ya!

J-Mom said...

That's awesome! Glad to know you have a blog too!